San Joaquin Homicide Attorneys
Homicide Defense in Sacramento & Stanislaus County
If you have been accused of homicide, do not make any statements to police, under any circumstances. Instead, immediately seek guidance from an experienced lawyer. While not all homicide charges are alike, the details behind your charge and what you may unwittingly share with the police can be crucial to your defense.
Homicide, Murder, & Manslaughter: Understanding the Difference
There are two different types of homicide: Manslaughter and murder (both of which are defined under California Penal Code Section 187).
While the law is extremely detailed and specific, even down to the type of victim or method, the main difference between manslaughter and murder in California are:
- Manslaughter charges are reserved for those who kill another without any intent to cause their death
- Murder charges require a malicious intent to end a life. There are three degrees of murder: First-degree, second-degree, and capital murder.
Regardless of which type of homicide you have been charged with, criminal court proceedings for homicide defense can be complicated and demanding, and typically include the following:
- Pretrial hearing that will establish ground rules, as well as the direction of your case
- Investigation and the discovery of potential evidence
- Preliminary hearings to establish case
- Negotiations among prosecution and defense
- Motions between both sides
- Trial (if it goes to trial without plea)
Philip Krueger believes strongly that the law can work in your favor and will challenge any evidence that may not be admissible in court, or evidence obtained in a way that has violated your rights. If you would like to have a free consultation to review the facts of your case with a former criminal prosecutor, please contact us. We will respond to you within 24 hours to schedule a time to discuss your case and your options. We look forward to getting to know you.
Fill out our online contact form or call (209) 565-0750 to schedule a free consultation.
"Mr. Krueger is a lifesaver."- Louie
"Professionalism, excellence and timeliness."- H.Z.
Contact Us TodayFill Out the form below to get started
Local Lawyer Deeply Invested In the Community
Former Prosecutor Who Knows Both Sides
Spanish-Speaking Services Available
We Fight Tirelessly & Aggressively For Our Clients